What hosting for a website to choose in 2020?
Hosting is a service that allows you to host a website on the Internet. When you have created a website, the question arises of which hosting to choose, because the variety is so big. Someone advises one company, someone suggests choosing another. There are many good articles on this topic on the Internet, but I decided to share with you my opinion on which hosting you can choose.
Blueshost is rightly considered the best hosting on the foreign hosting services market. More than 2 million sites worldwide have been created on its platform. The company has operated since 2003, and since 2010 is part of the Endurance International Group, which promotes Internet access and small business development. In addition, BlueHost is one of three providers that have received an official WordPress recommendation.
The list of services provided by the hosting includes:
virtual hosting on SSD disks using technology to protect resources from server overload;
WordPress hosting with automatic engine installation and update, Staging Environment test environment for changes, hundreds of topics;VPS hosting with advanced cPanel control panel and full access to CentOS, tools for VPS management and WHM control;Leased dedicated servers using the latest open source technologies such as OpenStack and RAID1 virtualization technology.
You can also register a domain name on Bluehost. When you pay for any shared hosting tariff for a year, you get a domain name as a gift.
Another interesting option is to use hosting for corporate email based on Microsoft Office 365. In addition to the mail service you also get access to tools for business management, tasks and personnel.
Provider has an impressive list of advantages:
- high performance and uninterrupted server operation
- Advanced cPanel on shared hosting and the ability to install any panel on virtual and dedicated servers;
- free SSL certificate for all sites;
- ideal conditions for hosting sites on WordPress;
- simple and friendly user interface;
- 30-day money back guarantee; free domain name for 1 year; extensive knowledge base;
- active 24-hour support.
4 packages are available on virtual hosting at a cost from 2.95 to 13.95 dollars per month. At the lower rate there are restrictions on disk space, number of sites, domains and subdomains. On senior rates there are no clear limits.
Separate tariff lines are designed for sites created on WordPress. They are based on virtual hosting, optimized for the requirements and features of the popular CMS.
WordPress Hosting – hosting for small sites on WordPress. The cost of tariffs from $2.95 to $6.95 per month.
WP Pro – hosting for professional websites on WP with advanced optimization and promotion tools. The cost of tariffs from $19.95 to $49.95 per month.
eCommerce – hosting for shops made on WordPress + WooCommerce bundle. The cost of tariffs from $6.95 to $ 12.95 per month.
The cost of VPS – from $19.99 to $59.99 per month. You get full access to configuration settings, 2-4 cores, 30-120 GB on SSD, 2-8 GB RAM.
You can rent a physical server up to $80-$120 per month. Configurations differ in frequency of quad-core processor (2.3-3.3 GHz), storage capacity (up to 1 TB), RAM (4-16 GB) and bandwidth (5-15 TB).
Hostgator is an American hosting service with data centers in the USA. HostGator is a typical modern hosting service that offers all the needs of a webmaster to be covered within a single site. The following services are available on it:
- virtual hosting on Windows and Linux with unlimited disk space and unlimited traffic;
- virtual private servers with Root access;
- different configurations of dedicated servers;
- domain registration.
To attract customers hoster offers free transfer sites to their servers. In addition, you will receive free SSL, as well as a 45-day money-back guarantee – these conditions apply to all tariffs.
The main advantages of HostGator are unlimited storage capacity and unlimited traffic on shared hosting. Of course, there are some limitations anyway, otherwise the servers would simply break from the load. When you reach these limits, you will be asked to switch to a more powerful tariff – this is done to ensure that users do not take away from each other resources.
Among other advantages:
- the average server uptime is 99.99%;
- fast page loading;
- using CDN to deliver content to regions remote from the physical location of data centers;
- free transfer of sites from other hosting sites;
- 24-hour support, user forum, informative knowledge base for webmasters.
The cost of shared hosting depends on which operating system is used. On servers with Linux only one tariff is available with unlimited disk space and traffic. Minimum payment term – 1 year.
On servers with Windows there are 3 tariff plans with unlimited storage, traffic and mail accounts:
- “Economy” – for one site.
- “Standard” – connection to 5 domains.
- “Business” – connection to 10 domains.
SiteGround is another leader in website building with a network of data centers in Europe, America and Asia. Despite its remote geographic location, CDN connectivity provides high data transfer rates. Hosting has gained popularity due to its focus on sites created with the help of popular WordPress, Joomla and Drupal engines, although the technical capabilities of the platform can satisfy developers of all levels.
Hosting is characterized by high performance not only due to the connection to the Cloudflare CDN, but also by the presence of its own caching mechanism, the use of SSD-drives, network protocol HTTP/2 and PHP7.
The 99.9% uptime is provided by building a platform based on Linux containers, isolation of client accounts from each other and a built-in system for monitoring server operation.
Thanks to these technologies, even virtual hosting ensures stable operation of sites. On all tariff plans shared hosting is available a convenient constructor that allows beginners to create sites by dragging and dropping elements.
WordPress hosting allows in a few clicks to create a functional resource on the platform of a popular engine, including online stores WooCommerce. The hoster guarantees regular updates of engines and plugins, image optimization, PHP version control, etc.
Provider’s services also include:
scalable, fully managed cloud hosting;
corporate hosting with individual working conditions for each client;
dedicated servers with installation and support of necessary software;
SiteGround Hosting can be highly appreciated due to the following aspects:
- development of own and implementation of the latest technologies in the field of data storage, protection and transmission;
- high performance and uptime;
- continuous monitoring and prevention of security;
- free integration of Let’s Encrypt SSL certificate;
- availability of a formal recommendation from WordPress.org.
However, the pricing policy of the provider is not quite transparent. Users are not warned that there is an additional $14.95 charge for billing. Paying for services over an extended period of time will avoid additional costs.
On virtual, WordPress and WooCommerce hosting there are three tariff plans from $0.33 to $11.95 per month. All service packages include unlimited traffic, mail accounts, databases, backup, etc. At the cheapest tariff you can create 1 site, at other tariffs there are no restrictions. The tariffs have strict limitations on the number of visitors per month. The maximum available value for shared hosting is 100 000 people.
If you do not have enough capacity for shared hosting, take cloud hosting. It costs significantly more – from 64 to 192 $ / month. You can also develop an individual tariff plan, specifying the required amount of disk space, memory and CPU power.
Hostpapa is an American hoster with offices in the US and Canada. Suitable for hosting small business sites and novice webmasters. Offers a standard set of services: hosting, domain registration, website designer, mail, marketing tools.
Hostpapa provides users with everything they need to build and develop their site:
- virtual hosting;
- tariffs optimized for CMS WordPress;hosting for e-commerce;virtual private servers in different configurations;
- domain name registration;
- automatic backups;
- site protection against viruses and hacking;
- marketing tools, including mailing list setup and CRM system;
- mail hosting;
- tools for team management;
- website builder with visual editor;
- order the development of a ready-made website to save your time.
On shared hosting, the popular cPanel panel is used for management. On VPS you can install WHM or SolusVM for free.
Among the advantages of hosting Hostpapa, we note:
- high performance of uninterrupted operation time – about 99.93%;
- environmentally friendly – the hoster cooperates with organizations that produce renewable energy;
- additional tools to protect and promote the site;responsive and competent technical support (in English);
- money back guarantee within 30 days after payment;
- integration with CDN and use of caching technology to increase download speeds.
Virtual hosting costs from $3.95 to $12.95 per month. At the minimum tariff you can create 2 sites, the number of projects at two senior tariffs is not limited.
Hostpapa offers optimized tariffs for WordPress. The price is similar to virtual hosting, which is pleasantly surprising. The only difference is that on tariffs for WordPress you get a space optimized for the popular CMS.
If you are going to make a store, look for a suitable tariff in the Online Store line. Here you can find packages for e-commerce. The price of a monthly subscription is from $23.99 to $169.99. For large sites or projects with non-standard configuration is suitable VPS. The cost of tariffs – from $19.99 to $249.99 per month.
Hostpapa also has additional paid services. For example, advanced site protection against hacking costs between $2.99 and $24.99 per month. This difference in prices is explained by the functionality – at the most expensive tariff the site is scanned every 4 hours, and in addition to this you get various additional and premium features.
You have to pay for daily backups. Subscription for a year costs $35.88. SSL certificate is also not free: Single costs almost $20 per year, and Wildcard (applies to all subdomains) – almost $ 70 per year. Tools for managing advertising campaigns and mailing lists, CRM-system – all this will have to pay extra.
DreamHost is a popular foreign hosting provider that has been working since 1997. It serves more than 200,000 websites, which are visited by users from different regions of the world.
DreamHost provides users with services for creating different web projects.
- virtual hosting;
- virtual private servers;
- dedicated servers;
- cloud hosting;
- various tariff lines for websites on WordPress: standard hosting, managed with high performance, for e-commerce with automatic addition of WooCommerce plugin;
- built-in website builders;
- domain name registration;
- mail hosting and tools for teamwork.
One of the DreamHost tricks is the Grow section, which contains materials for webmasters. Beginners will definitely find a lot of useful information here. Experienced website developers may also be interested – some topics reveal the possibilities of hosting from a new perspective.
The main advantage of the DreamHost is high speed. This applies to all aspects of hosting activities, from loading the control panel to delivering content to users. Compression technology, CDN servers and SSDs are used to maintain high speed. Among other benefits we would like to mention:
- Unlimited disk space at the rates of shared hosting;
- free SSL;
- use of content delivery networks to speed up page loading on the user side;
- optimized rates for WordPress;
- guarantee of refund within 97 days after payment of the tariff.
There are 2 rates available on shared hosting: Starter for $4.95 per month and Unlimited for $10.95 per month. The key difference between them is the number of sites that can be created on one account. Starter is suitable for beginners who are doing 1 project and check if it will be popular. Unlimited – a solution for webmasters who need many small sites.
In the line of VPS tariffs the choice is already richer: 4 tariffs cost from $15 to $120 per month. They differ in the amount of RAM and storage. The number of sites on them is not limited, the traffic is unlimited, as well as mail hosting.
Dedicated servers are presented in two main configurations – Standard (4 cores, 8 threads) and Enhanced (12 cores, 24 threads). Optionally, the volumes of RAM and storage are selected. The cost of the minimum configuration of Standard – $ 149 per month, Enhanced – $279 per month.
Standard hosting for WordPress costs the same as regular shared hosting – $4.95 for the lower rate and $10.95 for the higher rate.
If the capacity of standard hosting is not enough for the popular blog, you can switch to packages from the line of DreamPress. These are solutions with improved performance. Tariffs range from $19.95 to $79.95 per month. The same prices are set for e-commerce plans.
There are also optimized virtual private server configurations for WordPress. Prices are the same as for regular VPS, from $15 to $120 per month.
Another opportunity to create sites on WordPress – a constructor with support for Drag-and-Drop. It contains more than 200 blocks, from which you can build the interface of the site. The cost of use – from $2.59 to $16.95 per month.
You can also order the development of the site from hosting partners. The cost – from $299 for 2 pages with adaptive layout, adding content, integration with social networks and the addition of contact form. The more pages and widgets, the higher the cost of work.
Mail hosting on DreamHost is inexpensive – $1.99 per month. For this money you will get 25 GB in storage, synchronization between mobile and desktop versions, and removal of ads. For teamwork DreamHost offers packages from Google service G Suite. Basic set costs $6 per month for each user, the advanced set costs $12 per month for each user.
LiquidWeb – American hosting with 5 own data centers. The company manages the domains of tens of thousands of customers in about 130 countries. One of the tricks of this provider – intuitive management of hosting, in payment for which you take off most of the administration duties and focus on the creative development of the project.
One of the principles of Liquid Web is not to compete in the niche of shared hosting and offer premium quality services that people are willing to pay for. There are no rates cheaper than $15 per month, so if the budget is limited, it is better to look immediately in the direction of other providers.
LiquidWeb offers to webmasters:
Fully managed hosting for WordPress and WooCommerce. Specialists take care of software updates and security. This applies not only to the CMS, but also to all installed plugins. In addition, you are assigned a personal manager who is aware of all the details of the project.
High speed of loading sites even without additional optimization. If you compress images, enable their lazy loading and asynchronous execution of JS code, the speed will increase by another third.
Free movement of ready-made sites from other hosting sites.
Full access to the server and developer tools.
Comfortable control panel on tariffs for WordPress. The installed CMS has additional tools for managing visual components, selecting the version of PHP, enabling and disabling caching.
Pre-installed themes for online stores on tariffs for WooCommerce.
Premium level technical support. Hoster came up with rule “59”. – Answering the phone and online chat takes no more than 59 seconds, technical support takes no more than 59 minutes. If the operator is not responsible for the allotted time, you will receive a 10 hour credit for support services.
In addition, Liquid Web guarantees uninterrupted availability of sites, except for scheduled maintenance, malicious attacks, lawsuits against you or problems with CPanel.
The main advantage of Liquid Web is excellent server performance. The speed tests show outstanding results. Uptime is also close to 100%. Servers are unavailable very rarely, problems are quickly fixed.
Among other advantages, let’s note:
- packages of managed hosting services, in the selection of which all responsibilities for updating and protection of hosting are transferred to the support team;
- built-in firewall and protection against DDoS attacks on all tariffs;
- the ability to raise the game server on hosting;
- an excellent knowledge base for managing your own hosting;
- when renewing a subscription, the price of the tariff does not increase.
The hosting provider offers a huge number of products suitable for a variety of tasks: creating small sites, shops, game servers, storage of medical information in accordance with U.S. legislation. Let’s consider the basic lines of tariffs and their cost:
- Dedicated servers – fully customizable physical machines, cost from $119 per month.
- Dedicated Private Servers (VPS) – high performance and full access to configuration settings, the cost from $ 15 per month.
- Cloud Servers – flexible solutions combining the performance of a dedicated server and the scalability of cloud hosting at a cost of $15 per month.
- VMWare Private Cloud – benefits of cloud technologies with the level of protection of a dedicated server, the cost from $ 1599 per month.
- Managed hosting for WordPress – optimized tariffs for sites on WordPress, the cost from $19 per month.
- Managed hosting for WooCommerce – ready-made solutions for performance stores, the cost from $19 per month.
- Server clusters – hosting platforms for your business, the cost from $743 per month.
- Server for self-deployment of VPS, the cost from $329 per month.
- HIPAA – specialized hosting for medical institutions with special data storage conditions, the cost from $299 per month.
- Hosting for storage of critical databases, the cost from $1.5 per month.
7. 1&1 IONOS
1&1 IONOS is the largest and oldest European hosting company, focused on small and medium businesses, whose quality is trusted by more than 8 million customers.
The company owns 10 data centers located in 5 European and American countries. They are ISO 27001 certified, which guarantees high performance and data security.
The hosting service offers a wide range of services:
- fast, flexible and fully scalable shared-hosting;
- optimized WordPress hosting;
- hosting for Windows developers – Windows Server 2019 with the latest versions of ASP.NET and .NET Core;
- hosting for agencies and freelancers with a single control panel for several projects;
- VPS hosting with latest generation cloud hardware, including Intel® Xeon® processors E5 and 100% SSD storage;
- dedicated servers with advanced security features and a mobile application for remote management;
- Cloud hosting with instantly deployable WordPress, Drupal and Joomla applications.
Among the additional services: domain name registration, SSL certificates connection, a number of cloud solutions.
Positive characteristics of hosting 1&1 IONOS:
- mirroring data in two data centers;transparent rates and a 30-day money back guarantee;
- free domain and SSL certificate for the first year;
- user-friendly and functional in-house designed panel;
- designer of sites and shops;
- 1-click installation of CMS and applications;high quality protection against DDoS attacks.
Virtual hosting costs from $4 per month. The minimum rate is suitable for creating one site on 10 GB of disk space. An excellent offer for testing the hosting capabilities – subscription to the tariff Business for $1. After 1 month of use you can opt out of it or stay and pay the full cost – $8. The most expensive tariff is $14 and offers, in addition to an unlimited number of projects and unlimited disk space, antivirus and CDN.
The cost of hosting for WordPress starts at $3 per month. You will get 25 GB, on which you can host 1 project. Tariff Business can also be tried for $1, its usual price – $7 per month. The limit on the number of projects is removed only at the most expensive tariff – Unlimited for $ 18 per month.
For WordPress there is also a range of professional rates from $15 to $100 per month. Among the additional tools – smart installation of engine updates, plugins and themes, caching and CDN connection for faster loading, protection against various threats, additional SEO-settings.
VPS on 1&1 IONOS is one of the cheapest. A virtual server with a kernel, 512 MB RAM and 10 GB SSD costs only $2 per month. A maximum of 4 cores, 8 GB RAM and 160 GB SSD are available. This build costs only $30 per month.
Special offers are also installed on hosting for Windows developers who use ASP.NET and .NET Core. Any tariff can be used for $1 during 6-12 months. Full price – from $8 to $14 per month depending on the configuration.
WPEngine is a platform for hosting sites based on CMS WordPress. It offers tariffs optimized for this popular engine as well as specialized tools. For sites developed with the help of other CMS and frameworks, hosting is not suitable.
The hosting provider provides only one service – placing sites created on WordPress. At the same time, developers monitor the emergence of new features and instantly optimize rates to support them.
One of the key features of WPEngine is the high speed of website loading. For this purpose, the infrastructure is built using SSD drives, hosting operates on NGINX technology, and content is stored on CDN servers with which the integration is installed by default.
WPEngine also solves one of the main problems of WordPress – reducing the download speed after adding a large number of plugins, embedding widgets, adding “heavy” content – such as photos and videos with high resolution. To reduce the impact on speed, the hoster offers Evercache technology. This is an aggressive caching system that optimizes overall site performance.
Advantages and disadvantages
The list of positive qualities of the hosting provider is worthy:
- the use of open technologies, in the development and security of which thousands of professional developers are involved;
- tariffs optimized for WordPress, which increases the performance of the engine;
- excellent server performance: high speed, uninterrupted operation time – 99.99%;
- refund guarantee within 60 days after payment of the tariff for a year.
WPEngine offers four chargeable rates:
- STARTUP ($30/month) – solution for blog or small website. Monthly attendance is limited to 25,000 people, 10GB available on the drive, bandwidth not exceeding 50GB per month. It is possible to create 1 site. The package also includes more than 35 premium themes for WordPress.
- GROWTH ($115/month) – solution for growing business. Attendance up to 100,000 people per month, 20 GB on disk and 200 GB of bandwidth. It is possible to create 10 sites.
- SCALE ($290/month) – solution for medium business that is constantly scalable. Up to 400,000 visitors per month, 50 GB on disk, 500 GB of traffic. It is possible to create 30 sites.
- CUSTOM (cost is calculated individually) – solution for large businesses and sites with critical data. Optimized environment ensures high performance. Account owners can also count on millions of visitors per month, up to 1 TB of disk space, 400+ GB of traffic, and operational support. Up to 30 sites can be created on a single account.
When you pay for a year’s subscription, a discount is calculated. For example, for the STARTUP tariff you will pay $300 instead of $360, which comes out when you pay monthly.
GoDaddy is not just a hosting provider, but a company providing a wide range of services in the field of site building. The popularity of the platform went beyond America and reached the Euro-Asian market.
Provider has offers for different tasks:
- web hosting with protection against DdoS-attacks and a choice of operating system (Linux, Windows);
- hosting WordPress with automatic daily backup, thousands of free topics and plug-ins;
- ultra-fast and secure hosting for business with support for such popular CMS, as WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, Magento, etc.;
- VPS hosting with SSD servers on OpenStack platform;
- dedicated servers with 4-core processor and unlimited bandwidth.
Today, no one will be surprised by the high speed of hosting and 99.9% uptime. But GoDaddy has other strengths:
- a single server administration center that ensures the stability of the data center network;
- the ability to choose an operating system;
- active and friendly support, a detailed reference base;
- wide choice of free and commercial applications;
- free website builder.
Like most American hosters, the company has a “money-back” principle, i.e. guaranteed return of money within 30 days. According to user feedback, the provider honestly refunds the money when the application is received.
Virtual hosting on GoDaddy costs from 2 dollars to 9 dollars per month. When you extend the price increases by 40%, so it is more profitable to buy a subscription at once for a year. At two rates of four sites is limited to one, the other two you can create as many projects – the main thing is that there are enough resources for their stable operation.
VPS is available in two types – with standard and extended memory capacity.
Dedicated servers are also available in different configurations – with HDD and SSD. The difference in price between them is not very big, because other characteristics do not change. The cost of the minimum configuration of a dedicated server is 113 dollars, the maximum configuration is 368 dollars per month.
GoDaddy also offers hosting for ASP.NET, ASP, .Net Core and SQL Server users.
The best hosting is Bluehost. It offers a wide range of tariffs, guarantees stable operation and high download speed. As an alternative, you can consider SiteGround. This hoster also provides quality services and it is recommended by professional developers.
Interesting features are provided by 1&1 IONOS and GoDaddy. Besides standard variants on them there are special tariffs for the experts developing projects for Windows.
Hostpapa, DreamHost – hostings at about the same level. Stable operation, high speed, different rates and configurations. LiquidWeb chose a different strategy. This hoster provides premium services, aimed primarily at the western market.
All popular hosters offer special conditions for sites on WordPress. WPEngine has gone further – it is designed only for such projects. This gives a competitive advantage. On hosting quickly appear updates and additional tools from third parties, tested by the community WordPress.
It is difficult to find the ideal solution from the first time. That’s why on all hosting there is an option to refund money for unused services. This allows you to test the capabilities of the site and decide whether to continue cooperation. In any case, you can always change the hosting and move the your website to a new one.